Monday, March 18, 2013

Baby Martin #2: 1st Trimester....a challenge

I have not done a week to week post or taken any pictures of my bump because I didn't want to jinx the pregnancy. So here is a summary of my 1st trimester with my little bean/now plum.

Here we go again....

I took a cheapo pregnancy test on Sunday, December 31st. There was not even a faint line. I went back and forth through out the day and looked at it. 3 hours later there was a line. I googled and read there were alot of false positive hours after a pregnancy test was taken. So I didn't get my hopes up. The next day I took another and it was flat at positive.

So January 1, 2013 we found we were pregnant for the 4th time. We were excited, but very nervous. In 2012 we had 2 losses. One in February at 8 weeks I had a blighted ovum. The second in July I was suppose to be 10 weeks, but baby measured only 7 weeks. I miscarried during our vacation in Seattle. We were very nervous to even try again.

Deep down I felt like my eggs were just not maturing at all. So I decided to do the same exact things that we did to get pregnant with Jett. I started to take my high quality prescribed pre-natals, I induced my cycle unlike the 2 losses, I started on progesterone suppositories on day 15 of my cycle.

We decided not to tell anyone not even family until we were in the clear. I called my doctor the next day after we found out and they wanted me in for bloodwork. I went in 2 weeks in a row and blood work look good. My progesterone levels of course were really awesome. In the 60s. Dr. Young wanted me to come in 6 weeks much earlier than he usually lets patients come in so he could ease my mind.

6 weeks & First Scare
January 15, 2013. We saw the beautiful heartbeat. It was clear as day. Doctor thought at first that I had ovulated on my right. I was surprised cause I thought I ovulated on my left. He then looked and said I was right I did ovulate on my left. And that maybe there was another baby hidden or I had a cyst on the right side. Next appointment we would be able to see more if there was a hidden sac.

January 17th. I noticed some spotting. I was flipping out. January 18th we went in to the doctor that morning to see what was wrong. Baby was perfect. Still had a heartbeat. However, I had a large blood clot next to the sac. Doctor decided I need to start injections of 200 mg of progesterone twice a day. For the rest of the trimester. Just to be safe. At this point I was only 6 weeks, 3 days along.

My challenging journey started that day. The next 6 weeks I would go through the most challenging thing in my life next to having Jett. The shots were given to me by Mike.The shots itself were not that bad at first. I didn't even feel them. It was the aftermath that was painful. My bottom was extremely sore & swollen. I had large welts. It felt I had a rolling pin in my butt. I couldn't walk, carry Jett, barely sit or stand. It was miserable. I never got a good nights rest because I couldn't get comfortable at all. I did continue to have bleeds every now and then, but nothing alarming or the colors that the doctor said we should be concerned about. I was beginning to get depressed. I couldn't function at all as a wife or a mother. I needed so much help. People at work began asking me what was wrong so I just told them I was on fertility injections and they understood.

8 weeks...Telling the parents
We came back to Dr. Young at 8 weeks to check on baby. Baby still doing great. Didn't hear the heartbeat, but we could see it. Doctor thought I had 2 compartments in my uterus. One with the clot and one with the baby. He said babies don't usually do well with hemorrhages like that. The blood clot was 4 cm big. Almost twice the size of the baby+gestational sac. He said eventually the clot would absorb or bleed out. It probably is there from my last miscarriage. He told us to be cautiously optimistic and take it day by day. We were not getting our hopes, but we knew each appointment was getting better.

The large area to the left is the clot. Dark kidney space on the right gestational sac with baby.

Our little blob
We decided or well I did that I needed to tell our parents. They knew something was wrong with me because I was so pale and sick looking. My mother in law called me practically everyday asking if I was okay and that I needed to go to the doctor. We went to my mother in law's. We had Jett say his prayers. The prayers we have been saying since we found out we were pregnant this time around. He crosses his hands and says, "God Bless Daddy, God Bless Mommy, God Bless Jett, God Bless the Baby, God Bless Bentley, Maverick & Lucy. In Jesus name Amen!" We looked up and my mother in law's mouth dropped and was in tears. We told my father in law later that day the same way.

My mom and stepdad came into town for Jett's 2nd birthday and we told them when we saw them. I was relieved that I finally told someone. So I can talk about my pain that I was going through a little bit. I was really having a tough time with everything. Not being able to be normal. Each day with the shots it got worse.

10 weeks
On my 10th week appointment. The doctor and nurses saw how much pain I was in. They decided to check my levels so I can go down to 1 shot a day. This was an early birthday present to me. I was hoping all was good. The doctor did the u/s we saw baby immediately and heard the heartbeat. A strong 183!!!  And was measuring perfectly. baby was bouncing everywhere. We could see a distinct head, arms & feet. It was so neat to see. The doctor was feeling better each visit about the the viability of this pregnancy. So did we. He told me to come back in 2 weeks and they would let me know if I can go down to 1 shot/day after blood work. I was praying that it would. I called the next day and they said I was good to go!! Such relief!!!

It was amazing what going to down 1 shot/day did for me. I was still sore and had welts, but my body was healing. I was able to walk a little better. Sit longer period of times. I could actually be somewhat normal. Unfornuatley at this point my bottom turned rock hard. So it was harder for the injections to get into the muscle. So Mike really had to stab into me when given me my shot. The shot itself was becoming painful, but I only had a couple more weeks to go. There was a light at the end of the tunnel.

Clot still located on the left. Baby to the right. Cute little arms,  legs, & head.

12 weeks...Lucky Charm
We made it to our 12 week appointment. Jett our lucky charm came with us to the appointment. Doctor decided to try the ultrasound on my belly than vaginally. The screen popped up and Jett pointed immediately to the screen and yelled, "Baby!!" Our little baby was squirming and moving all over the place. Measuring right on track with the heartbeat of 173. Jett kept pointed at the screen saying, "Baby!" It was so sweet. Dr. Young told us that we didn't have to come back for a month. I was so excited. We had been going in every 2 weeks. It is nice to get a little break.

Getting so big!!
In the last 6 weeks. I have been given 70 shots. This trimester was truly a test & challenge from God. Not something that I want to go through again, but I am glad to have gone on the journey. I really do believe God does things in our lives to keep us on our toes and to make a better us. I am glad that it is OVER. I now get to enjoy my pregnancy and be allowed to be happy. FINALLY! WHOOP!!

How we announced to Facebook (13 weeks). I was little over 12.5 weeks pregnant here.

Now some outtakes.....
Us trying to get Jett to talk into the can. We tried with putting gummy snacks in the can. FAIL

"No more gummies mommy..."



  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by 2008

Back to TOP